Thursday, November 21, 2013

What Is Nanowrite







November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).
NaNoWriMo is a fun and challenging approach to creative writing. For some, like me, it can be stressful at times, but you have not lived until you have loved, lost, felt rejection, and have stressed … right?
Oh how I hope I am right. :)
It is for ANYONE who has ever thought about writing a novel. Here’s alittle more about how it all works.
On November 1, participants begin working towards their goal. The goal is to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days.
Approximately 1666 words per day.
YIKES! If I were a superstitious person, I would veer far away from the last 3 digits. However, I am not superstitious nor am I meeting my daily word count. :(
I am currently 10,000-words behind, but that is all right because NaNoWriMo is not a race.
Besides, anyone who knows me knows I will not run unless I am being chased, and I have to be scared. :)
NaNoWriMo is much more than a writing challenge. It is an amazing community of friendly people striving toward similar goals. There are pep talks, writing friends (buddy’s), on-line and local write-ins, and so much more. 
For me, it is also a therapeutic and freaking scary adventure!
Since this is my first time attempting the challenge, I wanted it to be a complete month of firsts. Do things I had never done before.
Therefore, I have chosen to write a YA fantasy novel entitled, Imperceptible. 
Why choose that title?
Well, it is my belief that we all (at one time or another) have felt invisible. So why not write about it?
I have attempted YA before; however, the rules consumed me so much that it stifled my creativity. I second-guessed every from the premise to the names of the characters. 
In the end, I could not stand the story.
This time I am writing the story with the rules in mind, but they are not in control.
My characters are. :)
Another first, one character is based off a good friend and loyal reader whom I have yet to meet in person.
We met a few years back on Wattpad. Deepest thanks to the internet and Wattpad for bringing us together!
Another terrifying first is a certain character based off the writer (me). Talk about a painful challenge. I mean … we all have qualities we do not like about ourselves. Add my unusual childhood, and who wouldn’t want to be invisible?
So why write a blog when I am 10,000 words behind and there are only nine left in this challenge?
Well, it’s simple really. I wanted to let you know that I’m still here, I’m still reading and writing, and I wanted to say if you were considering NaNoWriMo.
Go for it!
I hope to see you there next November! Add me to your writing buddy list and we’ll share a few laughs.
Brightest blessings,
)O(  

6 comments:

  1. Like always, I enjoy your blogs. I love the idea of writing a project of "firsts" and can't wait to read this one. Now, enough banter...get back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Now put the whip away, I'm getting to work. :)

      Delete
  2. I really wanted to participate this year in nanowrite but too many things got in the way. Who knows hopefully next year I'll be able to do it. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you visiting, Susan, it is deeply appreciated.
      I do hope things clear up and I am looking forward to seeing you there next year!

      Delete
  3. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe. I am happy to connect with you!

    http://cdverhoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe. I am happy to connect with you!

    http://cdverhoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete