Friday, November 2, 2012

Beware of predators, they come in all shapes and sizes!

Why do people try to swindle others? I am sure that is an age-old question.  Age-old … did I really type that? Ugh, I am turning into my parents.

Anyhow, this blog is not about writing, books I have read or authors I have come to admire. This is a warning to all my friends.

Since I did not request the attached email and I have no idea who this person really is. I have decided to copy and paste the email for you all to see. In addition, I find the idea of the sender expecting me (or anyone for that matter) to give him the confidentiality they request to be ... well, it is beyond ridiculous! Why give him that type of respect? When you read the letter, you will see that it states that the sender and one other person (supposedly me) have the rights to a deceased person's money. What gives this sender the right? Why would I be entitled that ‘so-called’ money more so than researchers trying to find a cure for Cancer or Aids, countries that are struggling, or families that are living on the streets?

I don't ... and neither does the sender! Besides, that is not what this letter is about. This is identity theft made easy! My Goddess, lazy thieves ... who knew? Therefore, basically, if I send them all my personal information that they requested, they could create a new identity. Sure, it would be great if they were to pay all my bills for me, but that is not their intention. 

Below is a copy of the email. Please watch out for scams like this, even if it's from a bank you currently use, or a successful bank you are familiar with. Banks would never send you an email requesting your personal information. Not without a personal confirmation first! Banks would initially make contact with you prior to requesting personal information. If a bank cannot contact you directly, they would attach a message on your bankcard, asking you to visit the nearest branch. Some have sent emails asking you to contact a specific person at a branch with a phone number, but they would never (make a first attempt via email), requesting your personal account information.

Identity theft is out there, it is serious and it hurts.

Be safe my friends,
Sass :)

Oh! As for the sender of the email below, be careful! Karma has everyone's number, and Karma has a way of balancing the good and the bad. You are playing a dangerous game of Karma Roulette!

__________________________________________________________________________________

From Mr.James Kamby

Good day my dear friend, I assumed you are in good health with your family.

I am Mr.James Kamby, the Director in charge of Auditing section Group of (BOA) Bank here in Burkina Faso. Although the world is very small place and hard place to meet people because you don't know who to trust or believe, but as I have developed the trust in you after my fasting and praying, i made up my mind to confide this confidential business suggestion to you.

There is an over due unclaimed sum of Thirteen Million Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars ($13,200,000.00) in my bank, belonging to one of our dead foreign customers. There were no beneficiaries stated concerning these funds.

Therefore, your request as a foreigner is necessary to apply for the claim and release of the fund smoothly into your reliable bank account as the Foreign Business Partner to the deceased. On the transfer of this fund in your account, you will take 32% {US$4,224,000.00} as your share from the total fund, 5% {US$660,000.00}, will be shared to Charitable Organizations, Motherless Babies homes,disabled helpless people in both our country as the balance will be for me.

Please if you are really sure of your trustworthy, integrity, accountability and confidentiality on this deal, contact me with your profiles if you are satisfy to assist,with hope you have this quality i needed, go ahead and send me your detailed information as stated below for us to move forward.

1. Your full name:
2. Your residence address:
3. Your company name:
4. Your occupation/position:
5. Your official age:
6. Your Marital position:
7. Your passport or identity card:
8. Your phone number:

Please reply with your complete information so that i will send you the Official Letter of Claim as an application immediately to fill and send to our bank for the commencement of the transaction. Meanwhile, there will be legal back up which will indicate the reason of transfer of the fund without any question from your government or bank.

Finally, do know that as you apply to our bank, the process of this transaction will not last more than 8 days hence you will follow my guidelines and instructions.

I am looking forward to read from you soonest.

Yours faithfully,
Mr.James Kamby

2 comments:

  1. I get one of two of those every week. Their grammar is not improving! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead giveaways even if someone was gullible enough to bite:

    Bad grammar
    A misunderstanding of banking procedure
    an appeal to "religion" in a supposedly professional letter
    an appeal to "charity"
    "The balance will be for me"
    The massive size of the supposed payout
    a request to break the law
    A request to a stranger
    A request for personal information
    Etc.

    The sad thing is, people actually bite or it wouldn't keep happening!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete